Apr 15, 2015

one room challenge week #3: making shades + buying harps

if you follow me on instagram, then you will know that i have just arrived in south carolina to iron out a few last minute details for the ocean winds villa. (you can read more about that project here and here. after pictures are coming soon!)

the last week was a bit of a blur, and i managed to get a lot done!

brought these babies to the upholstery shop:




i dropped off my vintage lamps to get rewired, and to order some new shades.



if you happen to get lucky and find an awesome vintage lamp, rewiring is a must. the older plugs are a fire hazard! (there is a great store here in salt lake where i go called the lamp store. yeah. i know. pretty easy to remember, right? it is located just across from liberty park.)



 i paid $29 each to have my lamps rewired, and they also sturdied up one of the lamps that was a bit wobbly.

and now...onto the new shades!
the shades that the lamp came with were in pretty sad shape--cracking, water stains, and also screamed 1974. i knew i wanted a crisp, simple shade for the lamps, and so i tried out a few options.
it is simply amazing how much the shape of the shade affects the look of the lamp!

here are a few i tested: (i totally felt like goldilocks with the porridge!)

too big.



nice. but perhaps a bit too formal.





also nice, but i really want to play up the linear lines of these unique lamps, and this shade breaks that long lean line that i am looking for.



yesss....! the winner.

 i looked at all of the fabric options for the company that makes these shades, but the one that i really liked was going to take 4-6 weeks to be made. yikes. that was cutting it too close.



HOWEVER, i could have one nearly identical made IN THE STORE for almost 40% less AND i could customize it in any size. uh....duh. sign me up! i ended up ordering some custom shades, that were 1" longer than the last picture.

fast forward 4 days.
yeah. thats right. they FIXED, and rewired my lamps and made me custom lampshades in under a week. good stuff!

when i went to pick them up, i still had ONE more decision to make...the size of the HARP. you know, this thing:


they come in a TON of sizes:



and, just a little tidbit of info---the size is stamped on the top! (which i didn't know before this project! don't you love learning new things?)

here is the rewired lamp and new CUSTOM shade with an 11.5" harp:

toooo high.


and an 11" harp:

still a little high....


and, the one i ended up with...a 10.5" harp:



still a lot more to do, but i am really excited about how everything is coming together!

be sure to check out the other participants progress!


Trademarked by Calling it Home



14 comments:

  1. I certainly did not know about having an older lamp rewired! Good to know for sure. Love the lamp and I think you picked the best shape shade for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sherry, love your pick of the shade! I only found out about the stamping of harp sizes when I launched my lamp line, so helpful! Choosing the perfect size harps and shades is tricky. Can't wait to see your chairs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lamp and I can't wait to see the two chairs in their new look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those lamps are the coolest and I love the shade you chose. I can't wait to see it in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so excited, and yes I love learning new things. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know that about old lamps! Thanks! Love the shade you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is looking good Can't wait for the reveal. FYI rewiring lamps yourself is a breeze.
    I learned from watching my husband and redid one for my Mom and several others. Cheap , quick and satisfying

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I went on and on about the lamp before, it really is fabulous!! Can't wait to see those amazing chairs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those chairs will thank you (very much) for updating them!
    There is no substitute for taking a lamp to the shade store: I agree, there are so many unknowns in fitting a shade to a lamp. Look forward to seeing the finals here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great post! I am so looking forward to your finished room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! I'm excited to have a new lamp resource!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great source for lighting... It's amazing how you can transform a light with a shade, etc. right? looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a difference those custom shades made! love these.

    ReplyDelete