Oct 8, 2015

one room challenge week 1: mudroom + laundry room

its hard to believe its that time of year again! you  know....the one room challenge! (yaaaaayyyy!!)

if you follow my blog you know what this is pretty much the ONLY TIME THAT ANYTHING GETS DONE IN MY HOUSE.

so yeah. i get a little bit excited.

i have participated in the last three rounds of the one room challenge, and was one of the featured designers in the last round when i transformed my teenage daughter olivia's room:







it started as this:

 you can  see more pictures of this project here


the year before, i finished my mini office:


which started out here:
(you can read more about this project here)


and my daughter charlottes room:




which  started out like this:


you can read more about this project here)



this time around, i will be tackling this area:




as you can see, my mudroom, laundry room and back hall closet are VERY compact spaces. my laundry room could almost be listed in the guinness book of world records are the smallest laundry room EV-uh.

seriously, its pretty tiny.

this is the view looking into the hall from the kitchen:
 so much potential!




 looking into the laundry room. (sorry about the crazy iPhone pano shot!)



back towards the kitchen:


the rug and light fixtures will be staying. 

 

we just got a dog, and i was totally unprepared for the amount of STUFF they need and space they take up!! i am hoping to find a better place for the dog crate...


and....because i want you to get a real sense of the true nature of whats really happening in behind those closed closet doors:

ta--daaaa!!

right now, there is a freestanding bookcase and everything else is literally just thrown in there.
its a disaster.



my goal for these spaces is to dress them up with some custom cabinetry,
pretty hardware, loads of storage, some special ceiling treatments and a little bit of wallpaper.
i am still in the midst of planning the final details of this space, but here are some of my inspiration pictures:









stay tuned! i am hoping to have some drawings of the cabinetry back by next week, and i should have a solid plan for the look of everything as well!


22 comments:

  1. Oh this is going to be fabulous. Can't wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks marty!! i always love to hear your kind comments! thanks for following along!

      Delete
  2. Autumn I always love what you do with a space. So looking forward to this before and after and watching it unfold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lisa! i am super excited about completing these spaces. walking in through the garage is join to get a whole lot prettier soon. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great inspo! I especially love the horizontal panelling. Good luck- excited to follow:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! I love watching you transform spaces! And for the record, your laundry room is luxurious to me. I'm currently living in the UK, originally from Utah, and I literally could barely turn around in mine while 9 months pregnant. There was no room for bending over. And my machines are stacked :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! ok---this makes me feel a little better! ;) i sometimes forget how spooled we are in the US...things that we think are tiny are palatial by some european standards!

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to what you do, I have one that is smaller, no window and no closet. I will be looking to you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really does help to have a closet and a window. of course, sometimes just the right mix of texture and pattern can bring a space to life...even if its super small!

      Delete
  6. Love your inspiration and can't wait to see what you do. I'm also a smitten kitten for your mini office - what a cool and efficient space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your ORC's turn out great! Can't wait to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like it will be stunning! I can't wait to see! Leslie Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo, I love that laundry floor already. This area has great bones - I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through the ORC awhile back and I'm excited to see what you do this go around!!
    Darlene
    www.BundleMeBaby.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to follow and see what you do with the ceiling! How great and fun to have a reason to design an area! Excited to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannot wait to see how your's turns out. One of my faves to follow during ORC!! I'm probably going to lose my damn mind doing this, but at least I'll get something finished at my own house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lesley! lets hope my cabinet guy gets on board with my schedule! good luck with your room!! it certainly helps to have a fire lit under you to get those projects done!

      Delete
  13. That tiny office jewel is still a favorite! I always show it to friends when they complain they need a bigger room for an office--and everyone gasps, rightly so. The color, the mood, the desk, the budget-yet-fab storage... perfection, all around! I'm looking forward to following along because what you do is not just pretty, but functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! i have to say, that as tiny as my office is, it actually has MORE storage than i need! its kind of amazing how just the right shelving and closed storage can transform a space.
      i can't wait to get going on the laundry room---all my craft items have been hiding away in the basement waiting for a home.

      Delete
  14. Is that a central vacuum hose? My solution for that (in case you haven't thought of one) was to hang a outdoor garden hose holder in the closet. It helped to tame the beast. :)

    I love your rooms. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I seriously have the most awkward laundry/mud room ever! I can't wait to see what you do with your room. I love everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seriously have the most awkward laundry/mud room ever! I can't wait to see what you do with your room. I love everything you do!

    ReplyDelete