Nov 6, 2009

chinese birthday celebration

about 2 years ago, i found some adorable oriental brocade purses with bamboo handles at target.  i bought all that they had, stashed them in a storage tub, and forgot about them. when i re-discovered them a few months ago, and showed them to my daughter , i mentioned that they could be the gift
bags for a her 8th birthday party,
IF she wanted to have an oriental theme
(i'm so tricksey)
i must have a budding designer on my hands,
because she was on board immediately.
here's a peek at the final 
party set-up:
(to view the pictures larger, click on them!)

super easy decor:
glasses wrapped in crepe paper with ribbons tied around.
slender shot glasses with roses.
banner made from scrapbook paper, and tied with raffia.

colors were: black, fuschia, gold and chartreuse
cake stand is a box wrapped with gold wrapping paper
(please ignore the ug-uh-ly rental house fireplace/mantle.)

a "woman-on-chairs-eye-view" of the table.
had to throw in some real sushi for the adults.
i know, i know, sushi is japanese and this is more of a chinese-themed party.
i struggled with it too. for about 37 seconds. then i remembered that this a party for 7 and 8 year olds.

a peek at the chinese take out box pinata, (a collaborative effort...devised by me, made by my crafty sister-in-law nicole, and "accessorized" by my husband ) made from a template downloaded from the internet and 
transfered onto white poster board.
the wire "holder" is made from a hanger 
(you are a genius, dear hubby)

lucky me, i even found some fuschia roses.

strawberries with flags

i used an online translator for the chinese characters, so i'm hoping it really does say "yummy" and not something crazy like "i like to swim in garbage"

yes, those are indeed cakeballs

i have to admit. i put the celery out because i felt obligated to have at least one vegetable on the table.(plus, it went with my color scheme)
but i'll be darned if every piece wasn't gone by the end of the party! 
shocker.

fortune cookies dipped in candy melts with sprinkles.

waters with printed labels. 

the paper lanterns were purchased online at luna bazaar, except for a few, which were purchased at target and spray painted gold. i made the black pom-poms from tissue paper.

i found the plates at walmart. walmart has really stepped up their game in the last few years. 
no wonder they are taking over the universe.

yummy egg rolls
(the little flags were right.)

the cake topper:
i used the online chinese translator again for this.
it's supposed to say "happy birthday" in chinese.
(again, hoping it doesn't REALLY 
say something foul or creepy)
i printed it out, "smashed" the characters together (so they would touch) copied it onto cardboard and cut it out with an x-acto knife. then i spray painted it gold and used embossing powder for the final glittery touch.


the cake is adorned with 3 layers of ribbon (purchased at walmart), glued together. 


these were the hit of the party!
rice krispy sushi.
made from rice krispy treats, colored licorice and fruit roll-ups.
the kids went nuts over these.



smashing the pinata
filled with candy and fortune cookies, of course.

the birthday girl making a wish.
i hope she's wishing for a tropical vacation for her mommy.


be sure to check out the invitiations 
and gift bags found here

17 comments:

  1. Now~ that is a CUTE party! My kinda party;o) Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful party! I love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks absolutely adorable, what an original idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter would love this party!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an adorable party. Great details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful party and post. Do you mind if I repost it and link back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. J + S--Of couse I do not mind if you post these pictures elsewhere when you link back to my original post. And thanks so much for asking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are my hero! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, this is just too pretty! I would love to share a few pix in an upcoming post on Chinese New Year ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. not jusy a mommy,
    absolutely!
    borrow all the pictures you need.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the details!! The Rice Krispies sushi totally had me fooled :-), looks like a delightful party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so adorable - I love the rice krispies sushies - looks delicious!! I love all the details you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the rice krispie sushi too! What awesome ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the "yummy" pics and the Krispies sushi! It all looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED this idea. With our daughter being from China, I just may have to borrow some of your ideas and re-create them on my own! The Rice Krispies sushi was he best!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is perfect time to make a few plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I may just I want to counsel you some fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article. I want to read even more things approximately it!
    My web blog dental insurance course

    ReplyDelete
  17. My brother recommended I may like this website. He used to
    be totally right. This publish truly made my day.
    You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this
    information! Thanks!

    My web blog - profitbetkz.com

    ReplyDelete