Nov 30, 2009

house #5: family room-before/after

before:
ceiling fan, brass trim and boring white tile around fireplace, cream colored carpet and *no personality*
(my little shadow...can ya guess where she gets her nickname?)
the carpet comes up, the hardwood goes down.
preparations begin for the coffered ceiling. i know...it looks weird at first, doesn't it?

the ceiling is almost finished. we also installed a surround and wiring for a television above the fireplace.
a look towards the kitchen.
you can see the paint colors i was testing out.
the hole connecting the room to the kitchen...

getting there...
this is the only shot that you can actually see a little bit of the wood valance over the windows.
it's pretty similar to the valance i had built for the nursery here

the paint going up.
after:

i really wish i would have taken more pictures of this room, but at the time, i wasn't planning on posting these on a blog.  the house just happened to be clean and i figured i'd take some photos!
the color on the walls is 
brandon beige,
and the color on the ceiling is 
powell buff.
the moravian star fixture was purchased online.
we eventually replaced the tile around the surround with white subway tile, 
but i never got a picture.
the stain on the floors is the same throughout the main level:
provincial by minwax.


tomorrow:
before/after pictures of the dining room!











23 comments:

  1. What a fabulous makeover. As a designer myself, I can certainly appreciate all of the work that had to happen to bring your vision to fruition. Every single touch is so perfect together.
    Just fabulous, absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've just discovered my new favorite blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can i just say that you and your hubby A-MAZE me!! you are an amazing team and what you produce together is just BREATHTAKING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the checked floor! ! I'm a follower now gotta see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn, this is truly beautiful. Can you tell me what color you used for the trim? It looks like a softer white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jan,

    the trim color is "swiss coffee", by benjamin moore.
    and yes, it is a slightly softer white, but still "crisp".
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autumn, thank you for answering my questions. I think it's the perfect color and I've drawn such inspiration from your sense of design. I appreciate your help and your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the foyer! And I have to know where those curtains are from in the last photo! Please tell me they aren't custom and I can just go pick them up at my local....???

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented I can't stand it. And I'll try to contain my jealousy of your contractor husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Autumn... you have inspired me. I recently painted my front door black and LOVE it. I did run into some problems. You say that you use Onyx black, what sheen do you use? Semi gloss or gloss? Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. keisha,
    the paint used was a satin finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This should be featured in Architectural Digest! Nice touch on the narrow table piece in the hallway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn,

    Love your stuff. Where can I find a skinny console table like you have here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_URw7c0_39Hg/SwcdejXTxkI/AAAAAAAABWE/JaVU89Nnr6M/s640/IMG_7358.JPG

    Thanks!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  14. elaine,
    the table was purchased quite a while ago (about 8 years) at crate and barrel, who no longer carries them. however, room and board carries a very similar item:
    http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=4421
    hope this helps!
    autumn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Autumn,
    Do you remember where you got your spindles from? I love that look. Also, can a carpenter install them, or do you need a different type of skilled person to?

    Thanks!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing how you transform the house to look spectacular.. Congratz!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this entry way and I adore your blog. I am relatively new to blogging and in fact ONE of my blog names was "my old country Dump!". Your style is impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Same colours I have in my bedroom and bathroom....love them

    ReplyDelete