Aug 4, 2010

all buttoned up

i spotted this duralee trim--called 
"button tape" 
at my local fabric supply house and
immediately started dreaming about where i could put it.

the possibilities are endless...
pillows?
the leading edge of some curtain panels?
on a bedskirt?
an ottoman?
i'm giddy just thinking about it...

however, at nearly $60 a yard (retail)
i am trying to figure out if i can make it myself...
i know i can buy some shell buttons in bulk on ebay 
rather inexpensively, but i am having trouble locating
some simple, striped twill or grosgrain 
ribbon with a similar look.
any ideas?

6 comments:

  1. Whoa! $60.00! I have no doubt that you can come up with a lower priced alternative! I can see why you have your eye on it though! Please post if you come up with a solution!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am constantly amazed at trim prices...I just must be at my core a very thrifty person. You can most certainly make your own, what a great idea! Jnaell

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I was planning to do on the bedskirts in my guest room. I think it can be done much less expensive. It would be a bit labor intensive to sew on the button, but better than spending $60/yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez. That much for trim? It is fabulous, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trim is the jewelry of the design. Just like accessories, there's costume and there's the real deal.

    ReplyDelete