Feb 6, 2013

ebay triumphs!

i have spent a fair amount of time over the last few weeks searching for a few affordable faucets and light fixtures for my new house on ebay, and i have had a few victories that i wanted to share!
i am finally starting to feel a little vindicated since my "devastating ebay losses" post. i have a few more defeats, but for the most part, things are pretty peachy.

although i never did find another kohler memoirs faucet for under $150, i DID manage to snag a kohler purist faucet in brushed bronze for the powder room:


this is the same faucet that erika powell used in the coastal living showcase house, and i have been gaga over it since! (shown here with the cross handles)
these faucets usually retail for around $500, but i managed to get mine for $125! yee-haw!! (can i get some applause here? this is a BIG deal!)


i have gone back and forth on what to do in the upstairs main bathroom. at first, i wanted to do two hanging pendants....and then i thought i wanted three sconces. but then i spotted TWO restoration hardware triple wall lights on ebay for a starting bid of $90, and i knew i wanted to use them instead. (they are in a "satin brass" finish, and in a discontinued style called the "evans" collection. they also came with fabric shades.)
 i received them in the mail a few days ago, and they are gorgeous!

i got both lights for just under $130 with shipping! (these photos are from the original listing, and i have been too lazy to get a better picture of them...but these will at least give you and idea of what they look like!)


i also won an auction for this jado faucet:

it sells for $350+ on other sites, and i bought it for $50. it will go in my sons bathroom upstairs.


these jado faucets were each $100. many people don't realize that ebay is a great source for finding items at "buy it now" prices. this means that you don't have to go through the bidding process, which can be a real blessing, especially if the price for the item is reasonable. many times, sellers will have multiple items that can be purchased...which was the case with this seller.
i bought three of them...one will be used in the master, and the other two in the upstairs "girls" bathroom. i had my eye on a few other fixtures, but i just couldn't pass up the price on these. they remind me a lot of the kohler memoirs faucets, which i wanted for my master bathroom, but at 1/3 the price.


and, i got this quoizel laurie smith sconce for $25 (including shipping!) this same sconce is currently at shades of light for $139.  i know... a STEAL. my arm is getting tired from patting myself on the back over this one.

i also got into a bidding war on this light fixture and WON!

it is the audrey flush mount fixture from circa lighting. i plan on using it in my powder room.
it wasn't "cheap", but i did get it for more than 60% off the regular retail price.

*as you can probably tell from what i have been purchasing, there will be a fair amount of warmer metal-toned light fixtures in the house---i.e. BRASS. there will also be some chrome fixtures and black ones. most of the plumbing fixtures (with the exception of the powder room) will be chrome. i know some people get worried about mixing metal tones, but i happen to love it.

another recent ebay purchase:

a vintage audobon buffalo lithograph for a local boys bathroom remodel that i am working on.
the image came from a book, and already has a seam down the middle. i am going to split it at the seam, and frame each half of the buffalo separately. i think it will have a nice balance of masculinity and whimsy that way.

do you shop on ebay?
have you ever purchased any lighting or faucets or other items for your home on ebay?
have any tips you want to share?

10 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I love A) the buffalo B) that Audrey light fixture and C) mixing metals. That is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you have gotten some great deals! I love everything and am so excited to see it all in place. I hesitated to use ebay when we did our remodel because I was told that missing plumbing "pieces" could be a nightmare. I was not seasoned enough at remodels to wing it but I can see why it would work for you. Love the lighting idea - may have to start searching myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE everything you have gotten so far! I literally almost bought those same sconces from Shades of Light {in the nickel finish} but now I will definitely be scoping out ebay. And that brushed bronze faucet is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Autumn!
    Loving your choices. I'm so excited for you and your family. What an awesome adventure to build your own home. But you're an expert!

    Lets get together soon.
    Hugs,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've inspired me to try out ebay! We're at a similar stage in our house construction and I purchased all of our faucets from one of the large online outlets. It all worked out well but you've found much better deals on ebay so I'm going to try it out for some lighting.

    And that buffalo lithograph is fantastic!

    Angela
    Ontario, Canada
    (design*dump newbie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!! You totally scored! I am so excited to see all this come together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog.
    Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hi there, You have performed a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and
    individually recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.



    Check out my web page: Bmi Index Chart

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Autumn you really are rocking the steals! I love all your choices, and especially the prices. I am working on a new build for a client and I am going to start looking on ebay for their faucets and lighting now, you've inspired me. I am so sorry you guys have had so much snow, that is A LOT of snow! We have gotten some rain in San Diego and we have been whining about it, but after seeing your snow pictures I'm not going to complain anymore. So cute to see you and your kids all pitching in on the construction. I bet they are learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am officially sold! for some reason i always forget about ebay. but it really seems like a great resource! i'll have to get one that asap...especially since i'm in the market for a bunch of light fixtures. thanks for sharing your scores! high five!

    -ashley
    ashleyrachelle.com

    ReplyDelete