Jan 6, 2012

oly inspired mirror makeover




i have looong been a fan of oly studios lily mirror which retails at $2400.


i have had this large, ornate mirror for the last 8 years and have used it in several different rooms in our previous homes.
i bought it at american signature home, and i believe i paid around $120. i have since seen this exact same mirror on random online retailers, and it is always near $500, so i know i got a steal!

even though my tastes have changed over the last 8 years, i still really love this mirror...it just needed a quick update. (don't you love how filthy the mirror is? that's what happens when you leave a large mirror at "kid level" for a solid week...i don't even want to know that that huge drip in the middle is....)




to paint it, i covered the surface of the mirror with paper, being sure to tuck it in between the frame and the mirror.
i used krylon's paint + primer in high gloss white.
after i spray painted it white, i hung it on the wall, and it felt a little too....stark. the white was SO crisp and bright that it almost looked blue.


so i decied to paint over it with this ivory colored spray paint.
this really warmed it up. it still appears white... a nice, soft white.


you can see the difference between the two paint colors here. it's subtle, but just the shift in tone i was looking for.


here is the mirror, hanging in my living room!
i will share some additional pictures of this space in the next few days...

i think the mirror would look a lot better agasint a darker wall, like in the above photo. the contrast would help the mirror to stand out a bit more and look a little it more modern.  ni house #6, i will for sure hang the mirror in a room with some dark walls for maximum contrast and drama.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that mirror is pretty! Yes, I agree about the dark walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Amazing what a little spray paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing mirror. I have been searching everywhere for a beautiful ornate piece but have yet to spot anything as beautiful as this. Great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad, that mirror was better gold. It was worth more gold too. This white paint everything look wont' be around forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great makeover! That is a beautiful mirror- both ways! I got a steal on one like that, too, at an estate sale a while back. My husband pestered me to sell it when we saw how much similar ones were going for online, but I don't think I'll ever part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You beat me to it....I am HUNTING for a large (5' x 6") ornate mirror that I can paint. Not many to be found in these parts. I did find the perfect one in NYC (2 hours away) for $500. I want to paint it white and hang it on our brown dining room walls. Thanks for the tip on the white vs cream. I could defnitely see the difference. How many cans of paint did you need?

    ReplyDelete
  7. jeananne, i know that some people would strongly prefer the mirror gold...and i really did like it gold. however, i tend to decorate my personal home with warmer tones, and i thought it made the gold mirror blend in a little too much. besides, if i want it gold, i can always change it back with some gold paint and gold leaf...but for now, i love the change!

    i only used one can of paint per "color"---one for the white, and one for the ivory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *** Well Autumn, I LOVE #1: that you "repurposed" something you ALREADY LOVED, #2: that you repurposed something w/ such GREAT STYLE in gold... OR in white... OR in cream, and #3 that you shared this info w/ us... the "cream vs. white" will come in handy WHEN and IF I find the "right mirror" that I've been looking for in a place OTHER than a store!!!

    As the kids would say, "You rock!"... and "I" say "KUDOS!"..... and THANKS!

    2012 good wishes!

    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely remember seeing the Oly mirror in their adverts. Yours is so signature and amazing all in one.


    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Either way, it's gorgeous! Amazing what a can of paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! and the snippits of your room are TDF! Can't wait to see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out great! I have a similar mirror in gold hanging in my daughters room. Found it at an antique store in Arkansas. Don't know that I'm ready to paint it yet but love the idea for the future. By the way, I've stalked your blog for so long and just recently found out that Im in pellissippi ward with your mother in law!

    ~Heather
    www.perpetuitystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing love it what a great idea. So nice to meet you just found your beautiful blog and so happy I did. I have enjoyed looking around and I'm now following you, wonderful to meet new friends. Hope you find a spare minute to visit and follow me sometime if you like. Sending you special wishes for a wonderful New Year I’m looking forward to keeping in touch in 2012.
    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from California, USA

    I am Your Newest Follower

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Autumn, I have a gold and black mirror that was very expensive that I no longer think works in my house. I have been contemplating painting it and you have given me the courage. It's true that the mirror might be great gold but if it doesn't work in your decor, I think it is far wiser to spray paint it and make it work rather than finding another one that does. Repurpose is good! if you want it gold again, it is only a spray can of paint away, right? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great makeover!! Loved it gold and love it cream too!! Repurposing items in our house makes my husband happy, as I don't spend extra money:)) Kisses from Romania!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this same technique with a bold yellow color. I had a really hard time getting it and all the nooks and crannies. I think the second coat will really help :-)

    ReplyDelete