Jan 31, 2012

"exploding death star" chandelier

even though we are living in a rental house, one thing i really wanted to change about grady's room
was the existing ceiling fan. it was SO unattractive, and not fitting for a kids space.
i wanted something with a little more personality. i know--MORE personality than a ceiling fan? not hard to do, right?
since most of the items in his room have a traditional feel to them, i wanted
a light fixture that was a little more modern and whimsical.
my little man LOVES legos, and in particular, star wars legos. so, when i spotted the
orbit chandelier from z gallerie, i knew i had found the perfect light for his room.

this past weekend, i picked it up at the store, brought it home and begged my husband to install it:
grady's eyes lit up when the last bulb was in place, and when we flicked on the switch,
he grinned from ear to ear, and said "it looks like like an exploding death star!"

what a BOY.
:)
and, on a side note--i finally hung one thing on the wall...the cork board map!
yay!

15 comments:

  1. Autumn, I think you and I are long lost sisters. I just bought the InMod version of this light last week for my son's room. The Z Gallerie one looks very cool too! It does look like an exploding Death Star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i NEED a sister!! and bonus for me that you have great taste and are an excellent pinner. i always find myself pinning things from you.
      :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE that. I bought a similar one at a thrift store for my birthday in December, but have yet to hang it. Nice work getting it UP.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! the husband really comes in handy sometimes!!

      Delete
  3. I love that fixture!! Exploding death star , classic!! That boy of yours is clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, BOY is right!....6-8 year old boys are the loudest things on the planet. my son is constantly making sound effects for everything...from lifting his fork to running through the house pretending to be a spaceship. he LOVES that light though!

      Delete
  4. That light fixture is perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Autumn! I keep trying to reply to your comment, but my computer is not cooperating! Thanks! I love all of your stuff too. I wish you lived in AZ, I would hire you to help me decorate our new house. It takes my husband and I 6 months to agree on one piece of furniture. At this rate the living room should be done by the time our oldest goes to college. :)

    Did your light come with the half chrome light bulbs? Do you like the light the half chrome casts in your son's room? I am debating about doing regular light bulbs (diffuse white) versus the half chrome. I would love to get your thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, the light came with the half chrome lightbulbs, PLUS about 6 extra bulbs. i am actually really liking the shadows that it gives off...they are not nearly as "crazy" as i thought they would be...it's actually very, very subtle. i really like the half chrome lightbulbs...i think it softened the brightness of the light output.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is called the Sputnik light, but you are too young to remember that. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chandeliers can definitely be so chic and modern! Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that is simply stunning! This “exploding death star” chandelier is really a must-have for the homes of today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you wire this thing up? mine didn't come with any instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just stood back and let me husband figure it out! he has changed so many light fixtures in his life that he really never needs directions. if you are struggling, you might want to contact the manufacturer, or z galllerie 's customer service!
      :)

      Delete