Jun 2, 2011

the house i'm building...

did you know that i am building a house?
oh, not MY house! gheesh. if i was building my own house,
i would blog about it NON-stop. for real...i would NEVER shut up about it!
you would be like..."enough about this house already! we GET it. you're excited. let's move on!"
no, it's not MY house, but i am having a fabulous time helping my clients build their dream home.
sometimes i get asked:
 when is the RIGHT time to hire an interior designer if you are building a house?
and you know what? the answer is:
 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
ideally, a designer should be brought on board before the floor plans are finalized, and before the 
footings are dug. an interior designer can help make minor changes to the floor plan that can
add comfort, function and personality to any new home. 
when my husband owned his own custom home building company, i would assist all of our clients 
with their selections during the building process....everything from exterior paint, brick, and rock selections to flooring, lighting, trim details, interior paint, door styles, cabinetry, hardware, and countertops. 
i guess if there was one area in interior design where i feel the most comfortable, it is 
in new construction. i love nothing better than trapsing around in a house that's being built,
smelling the sawdust and seeing the hustle and bustle of the sub contractors.
there are a TON of decisions that need to be made when building a home, and it can be 
overwhelming. most of these decisions are things that you will have to live with for a very long time,
and things that cost a LOT of money.
even if you have never hired a designer before, and you don't plan on hiring a designer in the future,
it is a wise investment to hire  a designer when building a home.
so, for the next few months, i will be showing you the progress on this house and letting you tag
along while we make our selections! it should be a lot of fun. we are planning a few fun trim treatments,
pretty patterned stone flooring, and maybe even some blue/grey painted cabinets! stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. Having worked for a custom home builder myself, I totally echo your sentiment on hiring a designer to help with the process of building a new home, as soon as possible. The knowledge and vision of a designer can ensure a beautiful, cost effective result. Looking forward to following along on this project!

    Cathy @ Room Rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh... exciting! Looking forward to seeing the design process and construction progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true the soon the better! You will do such a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A girl after my own heart. I already love your blog and now this is even getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be fun to follow. I loved the process of choosing everything for my home. I just wish I could do it all over again now that's it's been 7 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to following along too as we hope to build next year so I have a lot of big decisions ahead of me! This will be fun to see...

    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to watch a house being built!! When I first stopped by today and saw your most recent post on this process I thought it might be yours, so went back through older posts to find out the story. I wish it was yours, I hope you get to do that again soon! Janell

    ReplyDelete