Oct 21, 2013

paint it black

i just finished painting the ceiling of my teeny tiny vestibule black and installed my new spotlight.
i love that the light is more directional--it gives the dramatic feel i was hoping for.


i am a little weirded out my the pink streaks from the bulb---i am trying to figure out if i can buy another  style of this bulb (an M16) to avoid them? feel free to chime in if you know more about these type of bulbs than i do!

as you may well know, i am a fan of black.
in fact, just over 6 years ago, i painted the walls of my study black. (benjamin moore onyx. my all-time favorite black) it was my favorite room in this house.
you can see the before + after of this space here.

i also painted my kitchen cabinets and interior doors black.
(you can see before/after pictures of the kitchen here)

here are a few of my other favorite spaces with black...
i ADORE this bedroom designed by one of my favorite fellow design bloggers, dayka robinson:

i want this bedroom in MY house!



here are a few other beautiful spaces with black walls...
 via


via

via


via

via

are you getting tired of seeing black walls? how about black doors?
or do you feel they are classic enough to last through the recent trends?

12 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE black wall and door fan! Never gets old for me. Something about the bold contrast gets me giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go paint it black! I'm not really fond of black doors and walls, but you made me realize that it's a great sight! With the light-colored furniture, you've made its classic look so fascinating. I'll pin your photos and use them as an inspiration for my next home remodeling. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Katie Nicoll @ ClarkAdams.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great, autumn. i'm trying to convince my husband we need a black bathroom. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh. you NEED s black bathroom. you might just need to paint it when he is away. and then he can't say anything....except "i LOVE our new black bathroom honey!"
      :)

      Delete
  4. Well OBVIOUSLY, you know I'm a fan of black walls. :)
    http://mydesigndump.blogspot.com/2011/08/columbus-monthly-homes-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love black too. I painted all my interior doors and that change made me love my house so much more. Your ceiling looks so great in black, and ooooh I love your study in your previous house so very much!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love black and it's timeless. Some of my doors are getting painted black. My last home, if we stayed in it long enough, was getting black walls in our bedroom. I think that black walls and doors are trending but they are not trends. There is definitely a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree===sometimes it can get a little annoying that so many "timeless" things that i love (striped walls, black doors, houndstooth, antlers) are ultra trendy, but it is nice to see those things embraced by the mainstream!

      Delete
  7. Look for an LED lightbulb for your spotlight. They don't have that reflective coating on the back and won't give off that pink backlight :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love black! It is the easiest way to add drama to a space. There may be a black ceiling in my future!

    ReplyDelete