Nov 6, 2014

ORC finale: a teen bedroom in peach + mustard

well...it is reveal day for the linking participants in the one room challenge!
(thank you so much to linda at calling it home for hosting this incredible event. there are lots of rooms getting finished al over america because of this challenge! if you haven't already checked out the featured designers, you should do so! there are some INCREDIBLE rooms!)

i participated in the spring round of ORC with my mini office. this time, i opted to redesign my daughter charlottes bedroom.


you can see the progress here:
see more here:
week 1
week 2
week 3
week 4 
week 5

we have moved 3 times in the last 6 years. each time we moved, i would tell my daughter, charlotte, that i would decorate her room...and i never did.
something always got in the way. money, time, and the fact that we were renting made keeping my promise next to impossible.



when we moved into our new home about 17 months ago, i once again, promised charlotte that her room would be among the first rooms we worked on. i have since finished gradys bathroom, the girls upstairs bathroom, and my office,  and have received some "NUDGING" from charlotte that it was time to work on her room.



the timing for this project worked out perfectly too---since she is an official teenager as of last saturday! happy 13th birthday to my little cutie! thanks for your patience!


anyway, enough blabbing. 
lets get to the amazing AFTER pictures, taken by the talented sara boulter!


 i worked with charlotte on every detail of her room....from the color scheme, to the accessories, to the sheets on the bed. i wanted the room to be a place filled with things that she loves. this room truly is a room that is HER...youthful, FUN, a bit whimsical and spirited, yet ordered.





the color scheme we chose was inspired from these still life paint by numbers that my grandmother gave me before she passed away. i was intrigued by the mix of neutral tones with splashes of coral and mustard. at first, i was planning on using coral with mustard as the main color scheme, but after looking at fabric samples, it was clear that charlotte gravitated towards softer, peachier tones.





charlotte is a jewelry freak. she loves her earrings and necklaces! the acrylic earring organizers, ceramic containers and metal jewelry tree give her a grown up, chic way to display her treasures.








new knobs and a fresh coat of paint freshen up this hand me down dresser that we have had for years.







 a favorite family phrase, coined by my husband was stenciled onto some plain mat board and put in an ikea ribba frame.


the acrylic cubes hold favorite souvenirs from trips to the beach.
the handprint was molded when charlotte was1 year old. (sniff* sniff*)






the oversize cork board was made with a $10 frame, some fabric and a sheet of sound board from the hardware store. (tutorial coming soon)


the desk is from target. i removed the legs and replaced them with some metal ones, and painted the drawer fronts. the chair is vintage, reupholstered in a velvet that i found on etsy.









the nightstand is from ikea. the robert abbey brass wall sconces were purchased on ebay for a fraction of the retail price.


the bed is the brimnes daybed from ikea. we added side boards and a headboard, with a pagoda-inspired headboard to totally transform it.
(and and when i say "we" i mean my husband allen---he jokingly suggested that i should rename the one room challenge the one room chaALLENge!)


the canopy was hung from the ceiling for maximum drama. "we" installed a cleat/board on the ceiling...the curtain hardware for the side panels was mounted to it, and the valance was velcro-ed on the front. the sheers are hung from a tension rod, mounted between the two side of the valance boards. (tutorial coming)











the tie backs were crafted from 3 hardware store elements..chain that was spray painted, a brass wall hook and a brass clasp.





this nightstand is the lack coffee table, also from ikea.


new adjustable pulls really help disguise the ikea daybed!








the bookcase was custom built, and hold a little surprise behind it. the painting above it was done by my mother.


it swings open to reveal a secret little hideout!








the metal birds add a whimsical touch.









hope you enjoyed the tour!




SOURCES:
wall color: revere pewter, hc-172, benjamin moore

trim color: swiss coffee, lc-45, benjamin moore

ceiling color: winds breath, oc-24, benjamin moore

ceiling light: philipe ceiling light, ballard designs (no longer available)

bed: ikea brimnes daybed with side and back panels added. hardware-deltana adjustable pull

nightstands: ikea lack coffee table, ikea malm 2 drawer nightstand with pulls from chinese brass hardware added

desk: target threshold campaign desk in mid tone. drawers painted swiss coffee. legs: 3 pin steel hairpin legs from blue ridge metal works etsy shop

wall sconces: robert abbey articulating wall sconce, purchased on ebay

valance and canopy panels: fabric: judy linen in "bubblegum" from grey line linen, trim: vintage scalamadre; purchased on ebay, fabricated by K+R bedding.

sheers: ikea lil panels

dresser: already had-painted swiss coffee, knobs: anthopologie (no longer available), pulls: a look in the attic

duvet: seersucker duvet, target.

mirror: thrifted

paint by numbers: gift from grandmother

chair: vintage, given to me by friend. upholstery-same as bolsters

cream pillows with coral ribbon trim: custom made by th fabricate etsy shop

les touches pillow: beckwith textiles etsy shop

bolster pillows: ikea (no longer available) upholstered in a velvet from etsy, with a faux leather welting, purchased from joanns

bulletin board: DIY, frame: downeast outlet, fabric--lacefiend kai slub in apricot

tray on nightstand, cream fur pillows, shag rug, all frames, raffia tray on nightstand, wood box on night stand, bust on dresser, hashtag wall light, acrylic desk organizer: home goods

metal tree necklace: west elm

acrylic cubes: CB2 format cube

large frame: ikea ribba frame

coral/gold agate frame: joss and main

winged bookends: joss and main

metal birds: alice lane home collection

bookcase accessories: metal urchin, diamond glass terrarium: hobby lobby

head vase: etsy

woodland creatures ceramic container: wisteria (no longer available)

metal stools: restoration hardware (no longer available)











63 comments:

  1. I'd say this space was worth the wait! Hope that Charlotte loves it, especially since it was a fabulous collaboration between designer and client! As usual, every detail is so well thought through and implemented. Congrats on a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean - wow, just wow! It's all so beautiful! The canopy is what my little girl dreams are made of and the pagoda headboard is what my big girl dreams are made of. Then, to find out you (or Allen) did it yourself - impressive!! It's all so grogeous! How cool. And every girl dreams of a little secret spot - what fun. Happy 13 to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love that peach canopy! What a charming room for a girl to grow up in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your daughter did a great job. The room is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It is stunning. I love that you create magazine worthy rooms on real life budgets. You are so so talented my friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn, I knew this would be amazing!! You are the queen of fabulous details! I don't even know where to begin there is so much goodness in here - love your perfect mix of styles! Kudos to Allen, that's too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the personal details that have meaning to her. I need an "Allen" in my life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your design is incredible! I'm obsessed with your pagoda headboard - soo chic! And the canopy & decorative pillows, your daughter must be in heaven! Fantastic design Autumn xx jana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your daughter doesn't mind having a roommate because I want to move in!! This room is SO beautiful Autumn. Love how you've transformed standard pieces like the daybed with clever details. Love the canopy, the pulls, the colour palette... everything! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always KNOCK IT OUTTA THE PARK! I love everything! Those curtain tie backs? Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Love those little acrylic cubes on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous space! I love all the pretty details- the color palette and especially that hideout! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing job Autumn (and Allen). What a breathtaking space! I bet she will never want to leave her room now! (Side note: I'm seriously coveting her jewelry collection!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another absolutely amazing transformation. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, peach and mustard - who knew these colors would pair so perfectly? So many things I love about this space, but I was sad to see the ceiling light fixture is no longer available . It's a stunner. Love the ikea daybed transformation and the canopy you created. The entire space is fantastic. Charlotte must be one happy girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Two of my favorite things are the chain tie backs and the earring organizer. I want both! Beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky girl! What a stunning room! Great ikea hacks too. Looking forward to your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!! I would not have put peach and mustard together in my head but it is beautiful!! Gorgeous and love the details!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Autumn, what a transformation! I absolutely LOVE this room and all the details, especially the day bed and the dresser! My youngest daughter is named Charlotte, so of course I have a special place for this room. Not to mention she has coral in her room. I made my daughter Sofia's bed into a day bed for this round, but she's only 3 and it's not nearly as beautiful as this one! I love the sweet mementos such as the sea shells and the artwork from your mother. AND the secret hideaway, how fun! I'm sure the two of you had so much fun designing her room and it shows! BRAVO on a job well done my ORC friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is beautiful ... I LOVE what you did with the bed - wow! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Let's just start with the pagoda headboard. Gah. AMAZE. The valance/drapery/gold birds situation is beyond gorgeous. All of the details are on point, including the tiny acrylic boxes, her jewelry display and Allen's contribution. My husband echoes his sentiments. Awesome times three. Charlotte must super excited about this room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this chALLENge. Bravo. Tell Charlotte that she will probably need to move into that secret room because I'm taking over that kickass bedroom. #seriously. Yes, you knocked it out of the park, and the desk!! Love the idea of changing out the legs. So genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! ha! allen appreciates the recognition! charlotte would love a roommate! you might have to sleep in the fetal position in the secret hideout, but it will be worth it! ha! ha! :)

      Delete
  23. oh my! i'll bet charlotte is so happy! those little birds hanging above the bed are such a fun detail! and, i adore the touches from your grandmother, and her childhood...so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a pretty room and the daybed transformation is unique. Charlotte is one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow~ An absolutely stunning space! I love the canopy and shell cubes. As a fellow 6 week participant the six weeks was indeed a challenge and you rose up. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a lovely transformation...I love it. It's girly & sophisticated..perfect for a teen. I'm sure Charlotte is loving her new room.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! I think you definitely made up for the delay in getting Charlotte's room done. I can't believe all the little things that are over the top fabulous in this space - the jewelry, the tie backs, and that desk!!! And the hideout? I want one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning! I love the colors you chose and those curtains and tie backs- love them! How cool is that hide out too? Fabulous details and great colors. Terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That canopy is truly stunning!...as is the entire room! She's a girl after my own heart with that jewelry collection ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is beyond amazing! I am sure Charlotte is beyond freaking out over this gorgeous space. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your hack adding the pagoda to the bed was brilliant! Coming from another decorator with a handy husband, I would love a tutorial on the valance, as the textiles really do add the finishing touch to Charlotte's room. One lucky young lady!
    Congrats on the lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the valance is super easy! and i will be posting a tutorial soon. :)

      Delete
  32. I am in LOVE with this space--my daughter agreed :) Beautiful work, you accomplished so much in 6 weeks, I am so impressed!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my gosh that hideaway is amazing!! what a fabulous little detail. Such a great room. The bed is such a great focal point. Love those brass chain tie backs too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful room. I wouldn't have thought of using peach and yellow together, but they look nice as accents. I like the gold touches too, especially the birds above the bed. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a great job! I love the pagoda back on the bed. The peach and yellow is fantastic.
    I will be using those gold chain tie backs !!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Autumn....OMG....love this room so much! The bed headboard was genius for real:) I love the colors and bedding....so so good! I am sure Charlotte is glad she waited for this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this room! You did an outstanding job! What girl wouldn't love a hidden wall! And I think you need to call your husband Amazing Allen - that bed is fab! Great, great job!
    Shelia @ House of Highlands

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a beautiful room! Love the fabulous customized pagoda bed, the beautiful canopy, the pretty fabrics, the lovely color palette and the secret little hideout. I am sure your daughter is thrilled. Swooning over every little details!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. what an amazingly lucky 13-year-old....this is absolutely gorgeous!! I can't even pick a favorite element because it's all totally awesome. my oldest daughter also has a secret hideout, this is much prettier than hers but has given me some inspiration! job well done....really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! It looks amazing! The bed and canopy look fantastic! I would love this for my room...haha! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This looks amazing!! Way to go! I love how you take ordinary store bought items and switch things around to make them unique! Just beautiful! I also adore the canopy!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So very well done. Every detail is spot on. I love what you've done with the space!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This space is brilliant! Your daughter Is so lucky and all of those goodies from ikea... pretty and hacked! Loved the mix of fabrics on the bed. And all of the details and the styling is impeccable. I really love this space!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Autumn, this is amazing!! I love so many of your details. That bed is fantastic, the hideaway...love! I also like your husband's name for the challenge. Really stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks linda! i am already dreaming of what room i will redo for true spring round of ORC!

      Delete
  45. Just beautiful! Today is my daughter's 13th birthday. She asked for her room to be redecorated, but she shares with her year old sister and that is a challenge for me to figure it out. I was wondering where the acrylic earing containers are from???

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I haven't even officially left a comment telling you how awesome this room is. Charlotte is a lucky lady! And you are seriously talented!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Stunning!!!! What an awesome room, girly but not childish and chic but still whimsical, I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  48. where can I find the earring holder ?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Could someone out there go to tj maxx for me... please and pick up four of those awesome jewelry organizers. I'm in Canada no tj maxx here.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Where can I find the tutorial for the canopy?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Where can I find the tutorial for the canopy?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Is there a tutorial on the bed? What kind of wood did your husband use? Was it painted? Thank you, and such a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Just gorgeous! Have you posted the tutorial for the canopy? Also, what paint did you use for the headboard on the bed - did you match it to Ikea paint?

    ReplyDelete