May 7, 2014

one room challenge REVEAL: my mini office

well, i am SO glad that 6 weeks ago i decided to jump on board and join in on the one room challenge  hosted by linda at calling it home. linking up was just the incentive i needed to get this little space finished.

here is a quick side by side comparison of the before and after of my mini office:

TA-DAAA!!

and just in case you haven't been following along, here is what i have been up to for the last 6 weeks:
week 1--more before pictures and introduction of design plan
week 2--painted the walls the perfect shade of deep blue (see my favorite deep blue paint picks here!)
week 3--added legs, numbers + hardware to the ikea storage unit 
week 4-shared some ways to put up a gallery wall on a budget
week 5--stripped the desk + put up shelves

 
the desk and chair are both vintage and the storage unit is from ikea.
the wall color is van deusen blue by benjamin moore. the trim and shelves are painted swiss coffee by benjamin moore.







 
the roman shades were made from quadrilles "la fiorentina"--i managed to snag just under a yard for about $60 on ebay. the black trim is from jo an fabrics.



the adjustable scissor sconce is also from ebay. i was considering buying a vintage one, but i am really glad i opted for this simple, new, polished chrome one. it has already come in handy!




the gallery wall is a combination of many different items:
*the tree + wagon painting at the bottom is a vintage original piece and the river scene above the agate is by my mom. there are also two other original pieces that you can read about here.
*some pieces are printed off the internet, the large piece in the middle with the linen frame was found at a thrift store for $20.
*the embroidered antelope and the butterflies are both from travels (mexico and charleston,sc.)
*the framed agate is from home goods
*the angel piece was a gift from eyes on walls
*the close up of the fence post is ikea






 
the bulletin board is from ikea.

the vintage chair sure shined up nicely with a little help from my new best friend!
read about how it helped to remove the rust from my chair and take the water spots on the top of my desk.

the chair fabric is kelly wearstlers' "agate" in linen.

the front of the drawers were painted in a high gloss black paint, and the the desk was stained with a custom mix from minwax "dark walnut" and "golden pecan".

the light fixture was an ebay dream score! it is arteriors large caviar pendant, and i got it for $81!
(and YES, i am still working on that post on how to find deals on ebay! more to come. hopefully very, very soon!)


this house terrarium is from west elm.

the gray storage boxes are from staples. i was able to partner with them on organizing my office, and i will be sharing more  details next week!


you can read about how i added these numbers here.
the hardware is from ikea. i painted it gold.

the crystal topped lacquer box was an EASY diy project that i will be sharing soon.





the hand is from home goods, and the bud vase is from wisteria.



this little space has gone from a nook off of the kitchen to the hub of the house! now that it is organized and DONE, i have SO much storage and am able to actually sit in here and get work done! i can't say enough about how this room has transformed the entire feel and function of the main floor of my house.


one final look!




thank you so much for stopping by!
i have been so thrilled with the sense of community that has come with my participation in the one room challenge. since we have been in a rental house for the last 5 years, i have missed out on some fun opportunities to get to know other bloggers and to get something DONE in my own house!
i can hardly wait until the next round of the one room challenge! so far, i only have 4 spaces done (of the 18) in my new house---you can see them here:


and now...off to check out the other fabulous rooms!

47 comments:

  1. HOme Run!!! I love it!
    xo~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, your office is STUNNING!!!! I don't even know where to begin. The light, the desk, the chair and that fabulous gallery wall are all amazing!! Just gorgeous. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I love a good blue room and you packed a powerful visual punch into your small office space. Love the mix of vintage and new as well as the thoughtful organization and pattern play! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love love love it! (But you know I'm partial to this look!) You knocked it out of the park, and you have so many great decorating ideas in this one little room that I'll be coming back to look at it over and over. So beautiful, Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fabulous! We just built our house and moved in 3 months ago, and things are still feeling so empty/undecorated. This is inspiring me to just tackle things a room at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn - I think this is the best before and after I've seen in a long time. A total WOW! Also wanted to let you know I read a previous post and hopped onto ebay for my own agate fabric remnant! It was $30 and I'm going to use it on a small pillow in my family room (different colorway). I twitted about you and the fabric on Instagram! Thanks for the tips and enjoy that fabulous new office. You would never get me out of there! M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What an awesome space! It's so great that it is off the kitchen too! Great function, great style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Autumn!! I love the mix of clean lined Ikea pieces and your unique vintage finds! Really pretty mix of prints, too! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO beautifully done!!!! Your art wall is perfect and honestly one of the most balanced/well laid out ones I've seen in a while...really love it. And that chair and desk together- absolutely stunning. Absolutely love what you've done with your space- wonderful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Autumn. I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is brilliant!! I love every bit of it. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful space! I love the legs of your ikea console. You did an amazing job maximizing the heck out of that nook. I bet you are just thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful! Excellent work as always. (My bedroom is coming along slowly...my HOA made us replace our fence unexpectedly and that ate up my budget :( )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! So many details that I love, but I think that my favorite is your gallery wall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this room... everything is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely office space!! So much style in such a little room! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful space...I love the wall color and floors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So great. The refinish job on the desk is stunning. I hope to find something similar to refinish some day. You are one of my favorite bloggers. Appreciate the upcoming info on ebay shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This turned out fabulous! What a terrific space! Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The room is gorgeous! Love the colors, the organization, the gallery wall!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did such an amazing job of packing so much awesome into such a small space. I love every last detail. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ummmm...what a perfect space. It is just phenomenally beautiful. The wall color is fantastic and your accessories are even better. You are so talented. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't imagine a cozier, prettier home office! The wall color is so rich and pairs beautifully with the warm tones in your gallery wall. All that crisp white in the credenza and matting keeps a narrow space with dark walls from becoming stuffy. You've accessorized it beautifully and I love that you incorporated things you've made like the agate box and painted hardware. The chair is my favorite part of this space. I actually hunted for an inexpensive remnant of that fabric in another color way for my own ORC (great minds!). Autumn your work here is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Autumn, I'm speechless! This is such a gorgeous space, chic and cozy, love love love!!!!
    Amazing job!

    Ashley @ evaru design

    ReplyDelete
  25. Functional and beautiful, vintage and DIY, what you can pull off is just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. SO SO GOOD!!! I love everything about this room Autumn starting with the fact that you took a little nook and turned it into something spectacular. I love this hidden gem and every last detail in it. Congrats!!
    Tricia // Suburban Bitches

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK...this is a favorite makeover for real! I love this space and everything in it. Amazing job on the styling Autumn. Have to go back and look at the pictures again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! I've been trying to think up a way to find a little office/reading/reflecting space in my own house just for me -feeling a little jealous, in the happy for you, encouraged to make it happen for myself too kind-of-a-way. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think your ORC is my favorite of all. Just amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. So , so, so perfect! I love your art choices and wall color! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Holy wow!! One of my faves! Love the wall color, that awesome gallery wall, the chair, textiles, everything. Fantastic job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did SUCH an amazing job with this room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Above should read "I THINK YOU did" not "I did". Just wanted to clarify I don't think I actually did any of the work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautifully done! Love your gallery wall. Enjoy working in your space!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How gorgeous! This small space does pack a powerful punch! Stunning! I have been itching to use navy and finally a client said yes for her dining room! Im so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love it all!!! What a great space! I really love the gallery wall and all the fun accessories!

    XO,
    Krista
    www.goodwillglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the desk and the chair. What a great office.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Autumn, I love how your office turned out! That gallery wall is perfect, especially after all your hard work! The fabric on your chair is FAB! The desk look great! I need something like that in my office! So fun being in ORC with you! Bravo on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! The room color is PERFECT and I love, love the wall gallery - and I love the chair...and the desk is to die for!!! Great job!!!!
    Shelia
    www.houseofhighlands.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. So beautiful! This office is so well planned, and the colors are perfect for the space. I am dying for that chair, too. Great job. Your styling is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. One of my favorites for sure! So much punch packed into a small space yet balanced perfectly. Wish this was my office! That blue color! The chair & roman! The styling!!! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is such an amazing accomplishment. Love love love the styling & efficiency. I featured it in my top ORC roundup today.
    Antonia Practically Polished

    ReplyDelete
  43. I can't believe I'm still going through these awesome spaces! Holy cow, your office does not disappoint! I love every aspect...the fabrics on the window and chair, that chair and desk combo (!!!), that wall gallery (@$##%!!) and your styling!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow! I really love how it turned out! I think the wall color is actually my favorite part lol. But the whole looks is gorgeous. That shelf wall and the ikea storage is awesome. And I love the idea to put a gallery wall in a space that small. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is what my dream workplace looks like. And that gorgeous blue wall is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I stumbled here from Instagram because I had to see more of this space on the big screen! I'm looking for a deep blue for my son's room and this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete