Apr 29, 2013

tile installation "notes"

you ever heard of that phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words"?
yeah. i thought so.
when planning a remodel or building a new home, it is essential to make sure that your contractor or subcontractor "gets" what you want.  a picture is the perfect way to communicate your desires.

there are some finishes in a house that you DO NOT want to have to redo because of a miscommunication or an error. tile is one of them. once the tile is laid in the thin set, it becomes almost impossible to remove without destroying it. you really want to make sure that your installer knows exactly what you want before a single tile is laid. there is nothing worse than showing up to check on the progress of your tile work, and discovering that it has been laid incorrectly!

since i was planning on some "out of the ordinary" tile patterns, i wanted to make sure that our tile installer knew exactly what i wanted. i thought you might like seeing the notes that i gave to them!





* our tile installers mentioned that they were SO APPRECIATIVE that they had my notes to refer to.
nearly every time i visited the house, i saw them in a different place...which let me know that they were being USED!

by the way, we used mapei grout. 
the color selection is amazing, and my tile installers said it is the best:


need help creating a tile plan for your remodel or new home?
i will be taking new clients after may 12th!
i would love to work with you!
contact me at autumnclemons@yahoo.com to reserve a spot.


8 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, Autumn! Your bathrooms sooo remind me of Sarah Richardson's which I adore. As soon as I can convince my husband to let me rip out our ugly slate bathroom, I'm calling you! As I watch your house come together, I've been so excited that there's a designer like you in SLC.
    ~ Carolyn in Bluffdale (unhappily living in a Town of slate, pine logs, and taxidermy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is amazing!!! Thank you! Question: Is it super expensive to lay the tile in such an intricate pattern {like your floor?}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you certainly have me wanting to hire you! What a smart plan. Half of the battle is working smart--and you obviously have great taste and smarts. I can't wait to see your finished rooms!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pictures! I have been looking for tile contractors near Portland so that we can get this done in our kitchen. I hope we can find someone who will do it in the same style as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sort of thing is a nice bit of tile installation. Good job to the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the black and white tile shower floor. I want to do something like that for my whole bathroom. I think it is so fun and different. I'm going to slowly redo the whole bathroom, starting with the floors first.

    http://cmtileinstallation.com/tile-installation.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some beautiful patterns. I want to install tile into my house, but I was never sure what kind of patterns to use. These are some great tile pattern ideas! I didn't know that tile would be so hard to remove if it's laid out incorrectly. I always thought that it would be really easy to remove if there was a mistake in laying it out. I'll take your advice and give the contractors my notes for reference.

    Deanna R. Jones | https://www.arttileco.net/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some really great tips on installing tiles in your home. I have never done it before, but think that our kitchen would look great with tile floors instead of carpet like it has now. I don't know why anyone would ever put carpet in a kitchen, it is so hard to clean. http://www.paragontile.com/materials_tile.htm

    ReplyDelete